Pages

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Embrace, Adapt, and Enhance the Change

Yesterday, I said good-bye to the building that I was charged with leading for the past four years (I said good-bye to its occupants, our students, faculty, and staff, a little more than a week ago). It was not an easy thing to do, because I grew to enjoy being at this school more with each day that I was there. This school has excellent students and families, outstanding teachers who work hard to improve learning for all of their students, and a caring staff that goes above and beyond to make the school a great place to be everyday. I found myself taking a few extra walks through the halls and classrooms this past week, even though each was empty. Aside from its dedicated occupants, the facility itself was well designed and has been well maintained over the past 57 years, which certainly adds to its appeal. Although it wasn't easy to say good-bye, change is coming for both me and this school.


For me, I'll be moving to another K-5 building within the school district. The school I'm moving to is quite different regarding student demographics (more diverse regarding ethnicity and socioeconomic status) and size (smaller) from the school I've been at the past four years. I look forward to the new experiences and challenges that I will face in this different setting, as well as the opportunity to determine whether my leadership approach will be successful at another school. I certainly hope so. As for my former school, a quality principal is on her way, and I know she's eager to continue to move the school forward and build on its past achievements. I know the dedicated faculty and staff are looking forward to the change as well.


My new assignment has brought about some change for many individuals. I've embraced this new assignment, I look forward to adapting to the new setting, and I'm especially looking forward to enhancing this school to improve learning for all of its students. The students and families, faculty, and staff at my new school should expect nothing less.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck, Sam. Your new school is fortunate to have your leadership!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robert. I appreciate your comment. Have a great Independence Day.

      Delete
  2. Welcome to the school!! We look forward to meeting you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I look forward to the 2012-2013 school year at MPT #19.

      Delete